What is romanesco, you ask? Well, it's a mix of broccoli and cauliflower. And it's amazingly delicious. Next time you see it at the market, snatch it up, and make this quick, easy side dish! If you can't find romanesco, you can easily make this recipe with either broccoli or cauliflower, too. You can also add a little fresh squeezed orange juice into the basting mixture to give it a little more "pizzaz"... As if this diva veggie needs it.
(Makes about 2 cups, 5 min prep, 30 min cook)
Ingredients: 1 large head of romanesco, 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted coconut oil), 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted coconut oil), 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Cut the stalk of the romanesco so that it sits flat and place it on a baking sheet. Using a basting brush, gently brush the citrus/oil mixture onto the romanesco, generously coating it.
- Place in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes, or until the tips begin to brown.
- Let cool to the touch then cut up and serve! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.