(4 servings, 5 min prep, 25 min cook)
Ingredients: 2 artichokes, 1 1/2 lemons, 5-6 cloves garlic, 1/3 cup fennel bulb, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill leaves, 1/3 cup paleo mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons butter or ghee.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Slice 1 lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the pot.
- Trim the top from 2 artichokes and spread the leaves slightly. Rub the cut edges with the remaining lemon then add the rinds to the pot.
- Slice 5-6 cloves of garlic in half lengthwise and slide them in between leaves of the artichoke.
- Add the artichokes to the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Puree together 1/3 cup of the fennel bulb, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, and 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh dill leaves with 1/3 cup of paleo mayonnaise (click link for the recipe).
- Once fully mixed, combine with 2 tablespoons of melted ghee or butter and the juice from half a lemon. Puree again until smooth.
Artichoke and fennel are both known for their detoxification capabilities. So, combine them together, and you get an even more powerful detox dish! Furthermore, both artichoke and fennel have been shown to lower levels of unhealthy fats (LDL) and raise levels of healthy fats (HDL) in the blood, which has great cardiovascular benefit. With their high levels of dietary fiber, one of the most beneficial nutritional staples for improving the health, these two ingredients can increase the functionality of your digestive system. Artichokes also have the highest antioxidant levels of any vegetable and have been revered for their amazing ability to prevent cancer development. Finally, their quality as a vasodilator, allowing more oxygen to reach the brain for elevated cognitive function, and high phosphorous levels, which prevent cognitive decline, make artichokes a nutritional cornerstone for a healthy brain!