(makes 2 serving, 10 min prep, 10 min cook)
Ingredients: 8 large sheets sushi nori (seaweed), 1/2 head cauliflower, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 mango, 1 carrot, 1/2 cucumber, 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/2 lime, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp garlic, 1/2 lb sustainable wild-caught sushi grade salmon, pinch turmeric, pinch sea salt
- Using your blender (I love my Blendtec) or food processor, break down 1/2 head cauliflower into small pieces about the size of rice.
- Pour the cauliflower into a pan over medium high heat with 1/4 cup coconut milk, juice from 1/2 lime, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp garlic, pinch turmeric, and a pinch of sea salt. Stir to combine then allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the caulirice begins to soften.
- While the caulirice is cooking, lay out 8 large sheets of sushi nori, overlapping about 2 inches, into 2 large squares of 4.
- Slice 1/2 avocado, 1/2 mango, 1/2 cucumber, and 1 carrot and lay them onto the nori squares with 1/2 lb sustainable wild-caught sushi grade salmon (If you don't like raw fish, try using cooked shrimp).
- Fold in the sides of the nori and roll up all the ingredients like a burrito. Here are some tricks: In order to get the nori to stick, wet it slightly. In order to cleanly cut it in half, wet your sharp knife first.
Turmeric is abundant in phenethyl isothiocyanate and curcumin, powerful anti-inflammatories. Research has shown that turmeric is as effective as many prescription drugs in the treatment of inflammatory conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Furthermore, turmeric has proven to be very beneficial in the protection against carcinogenic free radicals. In fact, the combination of turmeric and cauliflower has been shown to be extremely effective in the prevention of cancer, especially prostate cancer. Additionally, seaweed is abundant in iodine, a mineral necessary for proper thyroid function, making this dish wonderful for individuals who are experiencing hypothyroid. The high levels of vitamin C in the seaweed combined with the mango also helps to support a healthy immune system.