(makes 6-8 servings, 15 min prep + soak/fridge time)
Ingredients: 2 cups cashews, 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds, 1 cup + 1 tsp coconut oil, 2 tsp sea salt, 1 Tbsp raw honey, a pinch of cinnamon, 2 cups avocado, 1/4 cup gelatin, 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 Tbsp gluten free peppermint extract, 2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract, 2/3 cup gluten free dark or semi-sweet chocolate, water
- Soak 1 1/2 cups of cashews in water for at least 4 hours.
- For the crust, combine 2 cups almond flour, 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds, 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, 2 tsp sea salt, 1 Tbsp raw honey, 2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract, and a pinch of cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. If you'd like, you can make the crust chocolate by adding 1/4 cup raw cacao and an extra Tbsp coconut oil. Press into a spring form pan for one large cheesecake or tart dishes/silicone muffins tins for individualized portions.
- For the filling, combine the 2 cups soaked cashews, 2 cups avocado, 1/4 cup gelatin, 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 Tbsp peppermint extract, 1/2 cup coconut oil in a food processor or blender on high until smooth and creamy. If your cashews haven't soaked as long, you may need to add 1 Tbsp almond milk at a time until the filling can process smoothly.
- Melt 2/3 cup gluten free dark or semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tsp coconut oil and pour a majority of it on top of the crust (saving the rest for the topping). Smooth the chocolate then top with the mint filling, forming an even layer with a frosting knife, spatula, or the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle the remaining chocolate on top and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Gelatin is a wonderful supplement that aids in gut, skin, and joint health. Combined with the healthy fats and anti-inflammatory aspects of the flaxseeds and coconut oil, this healthy treat is beneficial for individuals with rheumatoid arthritis. Furthermore, peppermint oil has been shown improve indigestion while research has supported gelatin's role in protecting gut integrity, making this combination a great choice for individuals with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-C/D), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and leaky gut.