I have been working long hours on my next cookbook (homemade baby food - stay tuned!) and my poor little teething monkey is feeling like his small world is coming to an end this week, so I needed something fast, easy, and healthy to throw together... Let me tell you, you won't be disappointed! Plus, when you are eating organic, it's important to enjoy produce while it's in season.
To read my post about what is growing during which seasons, click here!
(makes 4 servings, 10 min prep)
Ingredients: 2 cups cherry tomatoes, 2 white peaches, 1 avocado, 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1/4 cup chopped basil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (2 tsp chopped mint optional)
- Dice 2 cups cherry tomatoes, 2 white peaches, and 1 avocado and add them to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tsp sea salt and 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar to the mixing bowl and toss.
- To chiffonade cut the 1/4 cup basil, stack the leaves together, roll them up, then cut into thin strips using a knife. Add the basil to the mixing bowl. (Repeat with 2 tsp chopped mint optional).
- Toss ingredients together until well mixed and serve.
- Eat it all & lick the bowl before anyone sees you, act like you forgot to make the salsa, run back inside, and quickly throw together some more! :)
Vitamin A is abundant in peaches, with bioavailable B-carotenes that convert to retinol, which is essential for eye health and good vision. Vitamin A, however, is a "fat soluble" vitamin, which means that it needs fat in order to be absorbed. By adding avocado, which is very rich in healthy fats, the vitamin A from the peaches can be utilized by the body. Additionally, research has shown that bioactive compounds in peaches inhibit obesity-related diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Combined with the healthy fats from the avocado, which actually help lower the levels of bad fats in the body, this delicious summer salsa is wonderful for heart health.