And I DID IT! I seriously felt like a mad scientist when this recipe came out of the oven for the first time - It's alive! ...But, really. I feel like the hole in my heart has been filled! This crust is so good that I ate one right out of the oven without anything on it (don't judge me). And the beauty of this awesome crust recipe is that you can make it soft (if you like a more doughy crust) or crispy (if you like a crunchier crust) just by adjusting how long you bake it. Easy AND delicious? Sign me up!
(5 personal pizzas (about 8"), 20 min prep, 10 min bake)
Ingredients: 4 cups white sweet potato, 2 1/2 cups tapioca flour, 1 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds, 5 eggs, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 cup butter or ghee, 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and chop about 4 pounds sweet potatoes in 1 inch cubes - make sure you have enough for 4 cups mashed. Boil for about 15 minutes or until soft and mash. Place 4 cups of the mashed potatoes into a bowl. Using a standing or hand mixer, mix the potatoes until smooth.
- Add 5 eggs and 1 cup butter or ghee into the potatoes and mix until smooth.
- 2 1/2 cups tapioca flour, 1 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon sea salt to the bowl and mix again until smooth.
- On top of either a silicone baking sheet or an oiled piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet, shape the dough into 8" circles. (I like to make it thinner in the middle and thicker towards the edges for a true crust).
- Bake for 10 minutes. You can either add your ingredients and stick it back in the oven right away or keep the extras in the fridge/freezer to use later. Once you put your toppings on, bake for another 10-15 minutes for a softer crust or another 15-20 minutes for a crispier crust.