(makes 4-5 large rolls or 10-12 mini rolls, 20 min prep, 25-30 min bake)
Ingredients: 1 ¾ cup tapioca flour, 2 ¾ cup almond flour, 2 eggs, ½ cup water, ½ cup coconut oil, ¼ + 1/3 cup honey, pinch of salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar, ¾ cup dried prunes, ½ cup dried nuts (walnuts, pecans), 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract, ¾ cup coconut cream, additional tapioca flour for dusting.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine, 1 ¾ cup tapioca flour, 2 ¾ cup almond flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add ½ cup water, ½ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup honey, and 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, whisking again to combine.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix using a hand held or standing mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Dust wax paper or a silicone baking sheet with tapioca flour. Place the batter on top and flatten out slightly, shaping into a rectangle. Sprinkle the dough with tapioca flour and dust another sheet of wax paper with tapioca flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle shape. Place on top of a baking sheet and put the dough in the freezer for 10-12 minutes.
- While the dough is hardening, combine 3/4 cup prunes, 1/2 cup of your favorite nuts (I recommend walnuts and pecans), and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a food processor until smooth.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and take off the top layer of wax paper. Spread the filling evenly across the surface of the dough.
- Cut the dough rectangle the long way into 4-5 large buns or 10-12 mini buns by slicing even strips. Roll the dough inward into the bun shape and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes (15-20 for mini buns) or until fully cooked and the buns start to become golden on the top.
- While the rolls are baking, whip together 3/4 cup chilled coconut cream, 1/2 cup honey, and 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract using a hand mixer for 3-5 minutes until smooth. Glaze the rolls and serve.